30 Jan 2017

Ukrainian Borsch Recipe | Yummy Blog

One more recipe is up on my second channel - Yummy Blog (check it out at the bottom of this post). This time I share my family recipe for Ukrainian borsch. Well it is actually based on the family recipe, because it wasn't me if I wouldn't change something. Basically all ingredients are the same, I just don't do much timing, it just my way of cooking, I pretty much do all with feelings.


If you don't know what is borsch (or borscht, borshch,borsht), it is a sour soup, mainly its has beetroot in it. There are some variation with out it, but imho then it's not borsch without beetroot.
So down below is a list of ingredients, I didn't write how much of what is needed, because I usually eyeball the quantity, sometimes I take more one or the other ingredient or even skip something if I don't have it or don't want it. But it wouldn't be a borsch without beetroot, for me that the mandatory ingredient.


Ingredients:
beetroot
carrot
potatoes
cabbage
onion
garlic
beef ribs
tomato paste
lard (I often skip this ingredient and use olive oil instead)
sunflower (or olive / vegetable) oil
vinegar (apple cider or table)
salt
sugar
bay leaf
greens (parsley, dill)
sour cream

Directions:


Boil the meat in a pot with water, add salt.
Peel potatoes, carrots, beets, onions, garlic.
Grate carrot and beetroot on different plates.


Put the beetroot in a pan, add oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and warm up on low heat for about 1-2 minutes.
Place beetroot back on plate.
Wipe the pan, so it's clean and dry.


Chop and roast the lard on a pan.
Chop the onion.
Add to lard an onion and a carrot.
Roast.
When the onion is golden brown, add the tomato paste, squeeze garlic with a garlic press.
Stir, remove from heat and leave to cool.


Slice the potatoes and add to the pot.
Cut /shred the cabbage and add to the pot, bring to boil.


Add the beetroot and roasting.
Check for salt and add if necessary.
Simmer over low heat (10-15 minutes).


Chop greens.
Add the bay leaf and sprinkle with greens, without stirring, cover and leave for another 10-15 minutes.


Serve with sour cream and finely chopped greens.



And here is the video for this recipe (make sure you turn on the subtitles):



Bon Appetit!

Have A Wonderful Day!
xxx
J.M.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...