29 Jun 2018

DIY T-shirt Upcycle | Cute Cushion Cover Tutorial | J.M.

In this blog post, I am sharing two easy DIY ideas on how to upcycle an old t-shirt into cute cushion covers that will be an amazing room decor. Basically, I will be making an envelope cushion covers which require minimal sewing and no buttons or zipper.


So you will need a large t-shirt, if your t-shirt is a smaller size, you will probably be able to make only one cushion cover but again, it depends what size is your cushions. In my case, it is a nightie and it is long enough for two cushion covers. 
Also, you will need:
scissors
ruler, measuring tape
pins
marking pen/pencil or just small leftover piece of soap
sewing machine (but could be done by hand)
decorations

Turn the t-shirt inside out.
Cut around the side seam, cut off the sleeves and neck hem but bottom hem leave untouched.
Now there are two pieces - front and back.

Out of the front piece I made a pom-pom cushion cover.

On the right side of the front piece, I made all the markings using a small leftover piece of soap, so I can see better the placement of the pattern and later it will easily wash off.
Because it is a worn piece of stretchy clothing, it has one side more stretched and markings may look weird and uneven but because of the same reason at the end, it won't be as noticeable.

Around the flower I drew a rectangle, leaving the flower in the middle. Rectangle size is slightly smaller than the size of the cushion (my cushion is about 40x37cm, so this rectangle was about 38x35cm).
Right under this rectangle, I drew another smaller one - side length is 1/2 of the first rectangle side length (38x18cm).
When cutting out this will be one long piece.
And lastly, a third rectangle at the bottom hem.
Same width but the length of the sides about 2/3 of the first rectangle side length (38x23cm).
So it looked something like this (in the photo below it is actually a back piece, but the concept is the same):

The scheme for better understanding:



Cut them out.

Place longer piece right side up.
On top of it place the second piece with right side down.
Match the raw edges.
Fold over the first piece at the fold line. Check that all sides match and it looks like the straight edge rectangle.

Pin the edges and sew around the raw edges with overlock stitch (on my sewing machine I used stitch S2 E) or zigzag and regular stitch.

I left one side raw because it is not falling apart and will be hidden inside anyway.

Turn it inside out.
Around the edge, I sew on small pom-poms. At first, I placed pom-poms around to have an idea of a placement.


This is how it looks like:
front

back

with cushion inside


Flower frame cushion cover

Repeat the same sewing steps as for the first cushion cover.
Turn right side out and attach flowers around the edge. To do that I used a hot glue.

I think it is better not to place the flowers exactly on the edge (like I did), instead place them 1-2cm away from the edge. Because when I inserted the cushion the flowers faced more to the sides and looked a little bit weird but still cute and pretty.




xxx
J.M.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...