3 Apr 2018

DIY Origami Butterfly Wind Chime | Simple Spring Room Decor | J.M.

The last couple of weeks there is much more sunshine, it finally starts to feel like spring. That brought me in a creative mood and I wanted to bring the spring into my room.
I decided to make a butterfly wind chime since I love butterflies and they are really appropriate for a spring/summer theme. I kept my butterflies plain white, but I guess it would look cool to use a paper with some fancy print or just colored paper, possibilities are endless!
Things I used for this DIY:
white paper (but can be used colored or with print)
thread and needle
scissors
metal bracelet
ruler, pencil

I started with cutting squares of paper.
Because I wanted different size butterflies (what is optional, they all can be the same size), squares had to be a different size.
So for the smallest butterflies, I had squares 2.5x2.5cm. Then I add 0.5cm to the length of every next square.
I ended up with 7 different size squares (total five squares in each size), largest squares were 5.5x5.5cm.

When that all done, it's time to fold these squares into butterflies.

Fold and then unfold each square in half both ways.

Fold along the diagonals and unfold.

Holding two opposite sides, push the centers together until they meet in the middle of the square. Flatten the sides above and below so you’re left with a triangle.

Fold the upper layer corners to meet at the top corner.

Turn over and fold the corner past the edge.
Make sure you don’t flatten the raised edges in the process but you can help them to form by lifting and slightly pulling them.


(Turn over) tuck the tip that sticks out over the side.

Fold in half.


Also, keep in mind that the smaller are squares, the more difficult is to do all the steps neatly so I would not recommend using smaller than 2x2cm.

Now, when done with folding, we can assemble the wind chime.

Take a needle and thread (I used silvery thread to match the bracelet, but a regular will do).
Cut the thread at the desired length and tie a knot on one end.

Carefully push the needle with thread through the butterfly 'head' (I started with the smallest butterfly and gradually went up to the biggest). Place the butterfly on the knot.


Make a gap, tie another knot and thread next butterfly.

Repeat until enough butterflies are collected on the thread and repeat all over with another piece of thread.
I have 5 pieces of thread with 7 butterflies on each and each thread is a different length but again they all can be the same length.

Tie ends of the created butterfly threads around the bracelet and then tie them together.

Leftover ends I braided end then made a loop, but you can skip braiding, or do a twist or maybe add a ring instead of a loop. 


Cut off all the excess thread. And it is all done!







xxx
J.M.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...